The Auk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Auk

I acquired the AUK in August 2017, it being my 3rd ever Imp and after a 42 year gap since its predecessor. My first car was a 64 plate which soon got modified with ported head, Piper cam, Janspeed exhaust, Peco box across the back etc and when I got the Auk I decided that I wanted to relive my youth a bit. In 2018 attention was mainly focussed on the running gear so as well as an alternator conversion on went Montes and Protech shocks all round, Colin Valentine's front discs and 13 x 5.5 alloys with A539s. In this form it took 3rd place for Chrysler Imps at the Loghborough National. Last year had the engine out for head mods (bigger valves and porting) done by poor Dennis Allt at Transimp, together with Sport Strombergs and exhaust, new clutch, roller release bearing, and HE radiator. This years plan is just for a Sport engine cover, bog brush cooler and new hatch with HRW, as well as getting the carbs set up a bit better. Hoping to give it a good airing around Goodwood during the National at the end of July.

Nice one Digby, that is a lot of work you have done there.

And yes, hopefully Dennis recovery is going well, Malcolm has been posting updates which we all watch with hope.

I just posted about the alternator mods, if you have any extra pictures Digby it would be appreciated here, specifically the fixing as I dont have any images of that handy.

It is in the Workshop > Electrical section

Do you have a bog brush cooler ??? and manifold ?

JOhn
    / John

Comment

Well done on your efforts so far. AUK is looking very smart and should be a good reliable performer.42 years of pent up enthusiasm is a lot to let loose! Let us know of your experience with the Protech shocks. It's a brand I've been considering.

Comment

Very nice, love the colour.
        Patrick McGrorty

100% MK 1 just as rootes intended it, no mods, no problem

Comment

What a cracking wee car with some nice mods to it to make it more entertaining and no doubt give some folk a we surprise to at the lights. :)
          Nice to see some more photos when you can.
          Cheers
          Col.

Comment

Cripes! Two Covid dominated years have passed since I first posted so definitely time for an update on the AUK.
            Well, as I trailed back in Jan’20 the car has since acquired the ‘Sport’ engine cover and the engine mods were completed with the plumbing-in of the Stromberg inlet manifold and the addition of the bog-brush oil cooler.
            The rear hatch was replaced with one fitted with a heated rear-window using original style switch and warning light in the dash but using a timer/relay (hidden in the now empty RB340 control box) and the electrical mods were completed with the fitting of fuses, with the fuse- box located inside the car above the pedals as I didn’t want to cut holes in the front boot lining.
            The drivetrain was improved by changing to 1 inch ‘Sport’ shafts and the rear brakes uprated by the fitting of the excellent brake shoes from Moose which perfectly complement the front Fiesta type disc set-up.
            Rubberwear now includes new heater hoses throughout and a new fan shroud.
            Lighting has been utterly transformed by fitting LED units to all external lights. What a massive improvement! I kept to ‘warm’ white so as to retain the ‘Classic’ look, and yes, they are all fully legal and have been checked and passed for MoT.
            Lastly, I managed to fit a tacho (a) where I can see it ie atop the centre of the fascia, and (b) without drilling/damaging the fascia. I used 1.5mm brass sheet to make a bracket profiled to match the padded top of the fascia which is rigidly attached to the body using the slotted vent area at the base of the screen.
            Hoping that the promised outing to Goodwood that never happened in ’20 or ’21 will finally take place in July along with the Imp National at Alton. Fingers crossed and hope to see you Imp folks there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201007_145128.jpg
Size:	4.50 MB
ID:	17635 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210803_134750.jpg
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	17636 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201007_125928.jpg
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	17637 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200302_134648.jpg
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	17638 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210404_155703__01.jpg
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	17639

Comment

Happy new year Digby !

For all the doom and gloom it is amazing how fast two years have passed !

Car is looking great , never realised it had been changed in colour, much better than the green.

Let us hope we can actually get them out and about this year

/ John

Comment

And Happy New Year to you to John!
                Aquarius is the original colour but the green you see inside the engine compartment is actually old-style Hammerite which a previous owner had used for rustproofing / protection to the underside.

Name:	IMG_20171101_143342 TankOut.jpg
Size:	4.95 MB
ID:	17642 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180814_140559.jpg
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	17643 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181106_114705.jpg
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	17644

Not particularly pretty but seems to have done the job.

Name:	IMG_20190120_144612.jpg
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	17645

Comment

Very nice colour that.

Fuses are also a nice bonus, prevents the damn things from going on fire.
                  Patrick McGrorty

100% MK 1 just as rootes intended it, no mods, no problem

Comment

Working...
                  X