BMW Conversion on KNT 173F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Conversion on KNT 173F

The very popular BMW conversion. As I gather the information and picture of the transformation of the Chamois Spring Special from standard Imp to BMW power I will post the journey here.

On the way I encountered a lot of follow the crowd, KNT was made a little different based on altering as little as possible and the esult is a nice reliable car that goes like the wind !

Updates will be here once time permits. It is a K100RS conversion, the other K series are slightly different

John
    / John

KNT was owned at one time by Paul Conroy and like many imps he sold it in 2000 and bought it back nealty 18 years later. The car was in a sorry state as it had been lying in long grass with a hedge grown over it as the previous owner had parked it up.

Paul then sold it to Jim McGurk who blames me and a few others for introducing him to Imps, apprantly he could afford a pint before being an imp owner :):):)

Unfortunately the little car had suffered badly from the long grass with the whole back end from wishbones to box section under the seats being eaten away by the brown enemny.

So the back of the car had to be cut out quite substantially and rebuild including the box sections under the seats, end of the heater channels, end of the step sill, outer sill cover for rear and both sides of the cars floor from the back of the rear most seat brace to the cross member mount.

In the image it is shown after coating, seems were injected with a dilluted solution of FE-123 before final coating with POR all along seams then all the new metal and repairs coated with Epoxy mastic (EM121) then top black coat. Back end should be good for many a year now

I am going to jump from start to end (almost) as my images are not well organised due to moving out of the workshop at the same time and as usual having to change phones after dropping, sitting and generally destroying them while working.

https://www.nx16.com/85813.mp4

End result runs OK though, sounds great without a silencer but inside an imp it is way too loud, the story start to finish coming soon !

/ John

/ John

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how this was done. :)

Comment

Will need to get pics together Colin as all the fabrication work and floor /r ear wheel tubs was done in less than week and a half, the conversion not much more although I see Dom Smith put a cracking few picks on the Clan conversion to the BMW engine on The Imp Club Forums.

DOMS CLAN BUILD THREAD

( Registration required )
        / John

Comment

Working...
        X